Thursday 7 October 2004

Update on progress...

The boys are doing really good. Robo has taken the metaphorical olive branch and come back. Sulaiman too (the 8 year old drunk), who responded to some attention and is back and looking brighter.

We did a HIV afternoon activity with about half of the boys as preparation for the start of the food for working in HIV households programme. I have a meeting with an AIDS association and it’s members on Sunday to explain what I’m hoping to do and to achieve, and to decide which households are the priority ones.


Grace has responded to a chat about how serious and focused she needs to be. I asked them all to tell me what they wanted from me over the final month and Oswald has given me a list which amounts to the equivalent of a university course!

I’m trying to create more friends and informed people in the community by getting each member of staff to invite five compassionate people around and on your advice I’ll be inviting the pastor from the church opposite!

I’ve been sawing and hammering away today to make some sofa bench things so we have a more informal corner where we can do things like life skills and the kids can relax. We’ve made a draughts board and bought the local game with those beads and board of hollowed semi circles. I’ve tracked down someone who says he can get hold of some strong canvas material for me so I can make some hammocks for the kids in the back garden – they have such a calming effect on the kids…


More recreational activities - the busier the kids are being kids,
the less likely they are to be stealing or taking drugs!


We’ve started harassing the glue and alcohol sellers and getting the authorities on board to support us. The house hunting is progressing and I’m getting very excited about the boys having their own rooms and the possibility of getting more boys in since some still ask to sleep outside from time to time.

Grace is going out tomorrow night to speak to the street girls who are working purely as prostitutes with a view to getting them in for a meeting next week so I can better understand their needs and circumstances. I’ve set up a new timetable to incorporate life skills twice a week and a full day of staff training every Wednesday if I can stick to it.

Soon we'll start some basic income generation stuff for the kids and set up the weights and basketball post and hoop. It's never-ending!

No comments: